Ever since turning 30, I decided I really needed to step up my skincare routine. I have always used basic products like face wash and moisturizer, but knew I really needed to start investing in some better quality products and focus on making it a daily occurrence. Living in Chicago, the winter months take a toll on my skin. With it being so cold 4-5 months out of the year, it can really do some major damage if you’re not protecting it correctly. I’ve learned the hard way that this can lead to cracking, itching, redness and sometimes even bleeding! I teamed up with Dove, to give you some winter survival tips I learned from Dove’s dermatologist, Dr. Alicia Barba.
1. Invest in a hydrating cleanser. Dry skin, especially on the face, can feel super uncomfortable, annoying and even make it hard to apply makeup flawlessly. Using a hydrating cleanser and moisturizing 2x a day is key to making sure you have a hydrated and glowing face.
2. Stop exfoliating. I know this sounds insane, but it’s true! Over-exfoliating can strip the natural oils from your skin, leading to more breakouts in the dryer and colder months. One misconception that many have is that rubbing off dead skin cells will improve skin, while in reality it’s actually dehydrating it. If you absolutely feel the need to exfoliate, try using a light exfoliating body wash instead.
3. Get into a bedtime routine. It may sound cliché, but bedtime is the best time for hydrating your skin! If you’re looking to decrease collagen breakdown, consider these three steps recommended by Dr. Barba before crawling into bed: 1. Wash your face. 2. Apply a retinol. 3. Moisturize. I promise, it only takes a total of 3 whole minutes!
4. Sunscreen at all times- not just summer months! I know so many people who don’t use sunscreen in the winter, including me up to a few years ago. Harmful rays do not take a break in the winter, and can be just as harsh as in the summer! If you don’t want to add in additional steps to your current routine, try switching to a moisturizer with SPF, which is a bit richer than your typical summer sunscreen. Sunscreen is a must for your face and any other areas exposed to the sun. This is one tip I definitely wish I would have told myself to add in 10 years ago… start early!
5. Care for your underarms. This is one area that cannot be seen, but definitely should not be overlooked! So many different textures and fabrics can be super irritating to your underarms, so you’ll want to choose an antiperspirant that is hydrating and keeps you protected, Dr. Barba says. Dove Advanced Care Antiperspirant is formulated with moisturizers to help alleviate some of that irritation that may occur and leave you with softer, smoother and better smelling underarms. Another plus is that it provides 48-hour odor and wetness protection… a win-win!
Read more about Dove Advanced Care, click HERE.
I hope these tips have helped in deciding what YOU will do to boost your skincare routine, let’s not wait until it’s to late to give your skin the love and protection it needs! Xoxo
This post is sponsored by Dove. As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that make Marvelous in the Midwest possible!